Students who are not university of Iowa students are welcome to do research at the UI. Students coming to campus for research may be exploring potential career paths and graduate programs or simply trying to get experiences not available at their institution. ICRU has experience bringing students to campus for research, whether they are coming as a singular student or for a formal research program.

Formal Research Programs

Most undergraduates come to the UI campus for formal research programs occurring in the summer. ICRU works with research programs across campus to streamline this process. If you have a formal research program, or are planning to implement one, contact ICRU. We help programs with:

  • Housing and dining;
  • Creating courses and enrollment;
  • Stipend payments;
  • Programming;
  • Cross-program collaboration;
  • Grant application resources.

To see formal summer research programs available at the UI, see our student-friendly info page.

National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates

NSF REUs are funded programs that attract students to institutions across the country. Programs focus on a central theme, typically run 8-10 weeks, and pay students stipend, travel, room and board. Students are matched with research mentors and a small project. Learn more about supported disciplines and projects on the NSF website.

Benefits to students.

REU students get a closer look at the UI Museums' collections
  • Visit another university campus for the summer.
  • Experience a broader range of research settings.
  • Financial compensation.
  • Explore new interests, graduate programs, and career options.
  • Showcase distinguishing experiences on CVs and resumes.

Benefits to you, your department, and the UI.
REUs can be great recruitment tools for faculty, their departments, and the University.  These programs draw students who may not have otherwise noticed a university or department. 

ICRU can help.
If you or your department want to consider submitting a proposal for funding as an NSF REU site, please feel free to contact us.  ICRU can help you get in touch with other UI REU program PIs and various other resources.

External Undergraduates

Summer programs often have a mechanism in place for onboarding students. Individual research groups usually do not. Whether it is a new project or a continuation of a summer program,  contact ICRU for help with:

  • Admitting a student to the University (for a UID, HawkID, and UI software access);
  • Enrolling a student for a research course;
  • Discussing payment plans.

High School Researchers

High school student are allowed to do research at the University of Iowa. The process that high school students undergo to do research is very similar to that of undergraduates from other institutions. Since high schoolers are minors, however, the UI has specific protocols that need to be followed.

ICRU does not have the experience to facilitate minors on campus. More information on the UI's policies can be found through the Provost's Office.