Research Courses

ICRU offers the following courses each semester, available for registration through MyUI. For courses with semester hours, students and their mentors should agree on an appropriate number of credit hours before the student registers as well as other expectations

  • Note: According to University of Iowa Guidelines, 1 semester hour of credit is equal to approximately three hours of research work per week.  Please register accordingly. 
Students in round-table research discussion

URES:3992 is a 0-semester hour course that is not graded.  This course provides transcript verification of a student's participation in research during the semester.  

Students should register for this course if they:

  • Are paid.  (Students cannot receive course credit and payment for the same work.)
  • Are volunteering in a research position.
  • Do not want to accrue extra tuition costs or fees.

URES:3993 can be taken for 1-4 semester hours, meaning extra tuition and fees may be applicable where appropriate.  This course is graded on a pass/fail basis.

URES:3994 can be taken for 1-4 semester hours, meaning extra tuition and fees may be applicable where appropriate.  This course is graded on an A-F basis.

University Honors and Honors in the Major


Collection of Honors Theses

University of Iowa Honors Program.  UIHP students may register their work using the course HONR:3994 through the Honors Program.  This course automatically counts toward Experiential Learning requirements.  Please see the Honors Program website for information.

UIHP Experiential Learning Credit.  Research can count toward UIHP Experiential Learning requirements.  Here are a few things to keep in mind when using research for Honors Second-Level Requirements:

  • Any URES course automatically counts for the number of semester hours that have been registered.  
  • A 0-hour course can count, but you must register your hours with the Honors Department by filling out a Research Experience Verification Form.
  • Research experiences without course registration must be registered with the UIHP using the Research Experience Verification Form.

Honors in the Major Most departments have research courses available for majors within their department.  URES and HONR courses are not the same as departmental research courses.  Departments may or may not accept URES courses for Honors in the Major.  This needs to be verified with the major department BEFORE registration. 

Senior/Honors Thesis Project

A thesis or other senior project is an original contribution to inquiry or art.  Students choose a  topic of interest and conduct a small, independent research project or complete a creative piece. 

For students who wish to graduate with Honors in the Major (also known as Departmental Honors), many departments require a senior/honors thesis. Here are a few things that you need to know:

  • A student's thesis must be done under faculty supervision.
  • Thesis work often counts for 3-6 semester hours of  academic credit.
  • Projects usually take one to two semesters to design, complete, defend, and submit.  
  • Thesis are typically completed in the student’s junior or senior year.  

Students who are interested in Honors in the Major should contact their major department to find out more information.

University of Iowa Certificates

The University of Iowa offers a broad variety of Undergraduate Certificates, including those listed below.  For a more complete list of certificates by college, visit the UIowa Admissions Webpage.

​Certificate in Clinical and Translational Sciences

The Undergraduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS) is a selective certificate program designed to complement mentored research.  CCTS strengthens  academic knowledge and interest in biomedical research or policy in areas like chemistry, biology, physiology, and health sciences. Visit the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science website for more information.

Certificate in Museum Studies

Students of all majors can benefit from earning a Museum Studies Certificate.  Courses introduce students to the spectrum of museum endeavors, from organization and mission planning to institutional histories and current developments within the field. The Museum Studies program offers courses that are of value to those pursuing museum-related careers, or those with a general interest in the arts, sciences, or humanities.

Certificate in Global Health Studies

A Certificate in Global Health Studies provides an introduction to an academic field experience that is often needed in order to be competitive for post-graduation opportunities. This program includes a final project and presentation, ultimately preparing students for advanced academic work and careers in global health.

Writing Certificate

Certificate students explore and develop their own writing skills in a wide range of genres and for varied purposes, including creative writing (fiction, nonfiction, poetry); writing for the professions, such as the arts, business, journalism, or science; writing for organizations; and writing related to personal interests.